Aprilaire Filter Questions
1. How often should I change my Aprilaire filter?
No matter which Aprilaire HVAC unit you have, our replacement filters should be changed
after 6 to 9 months, depending on the air quality in your home. This is longer than the usual
3-6 months because the filters are thicker – they have more surface area to capture air contaminants
before they fill up and need to be replaced. It’s recommended that the filter be changed more frequently
if there are pets or smokers in your house. HVAC professional can assist with changing your filter, but
you can do it by following the steps below:
2. How do I change my Aprilaire filter?
- 1 Find where your Aprilaire air filters are set up in your home.
- 2 Open the panel that encases the air filters – it will be a cover on the front of the unit and should
pop off with mild force. Depending on your model, the front panel may have latches on the inside.
- 3 Remove the old air filter from its compartment.
- 4 Dispose of the old panel.
- 5 Install the new filter in the compartment – you’ll see an arrow telling you which direction the filter
needs to face. Generally, the air flow direction should point towards your HVAC system, since air is
flowing in from outside to the unit. As you slide the filter in, it should slide into the grooves at the
top and bottom of the unit.
- 6 Seal the panel by pushing it back into the front of the unit.
Of note – normally, replacing an Aprilaire filter involves removing a plastic frame encasing the filter,
then placing the new filter within it before returning it to your unit. FilterBuy’s Aprilaire filter
replacements replace the plastic frame and cartridge all in one, so you can quickly and easily load our
filter into your unit.
3. Which way does the Aprilaire filter go in?
On each Aprilaire filter, there should be arrows or indicators displayed on the sides of the filters
to show you which way the filter needs to be installed. The arrow must always face away from the return
duct, which carries air that needs to be heated or cooled.
4. What is the difference between Aprilaire 210 and 213?
Aprilaire 210 filters have a MERV 11 rating while Aprilaire 213 filters have a MERV 13 rating, meaning
the Aprilaire 213 filter providers a higher efficiency and will remove smaller particles from the air.
You can expect higher quality of air with an Aprilaire 213 filter.
5. How effective are Aprilaire filters?
Aprilaire HVAC units can support a maximum MERV rating of 13 – which can filter out 98% of air born
particles in your home and can filter extremely small particles. These are extremely effective for those
with asthma and allergies.