Frequently Asked Questions
What size filter do I need?
- To start, check the filter in your unit to find the measurements you need. Most filters have the size written on the frame. Generally, the nominal size will be in large print and the actual size in small print. If there’s no size listed on your filter, use a tape measure to find out the exact length, width, and depth.
- If you don’t see your size on our list of standard sizes, check out our custom tool and create a filter that’s built to your exact specifications.
- For more information on finding the air filter size you need, click here.
How do I change my air filter?
- Changing your air filter takes just 90 seconds!
- First, make sure you have the correct size. Remember that the nominal size is different from the actual size.
- Second, turn off the power supply. You can find a power switch next to your unit. If you don’t see one, you can turn off the power in your fuse box.
- Next, remove the old air filter and dispose of it. Make sure you have a trash bag handy since the filter will contain all the pollutants filtered from your air!
- Insert the new filter by ensuring the arrows are pointed in the right direction.
- Finally, pop (or screw) the cover back in place!
- Want more in-depth instructions on how to change your air filter? Click here.
What is a MERV rating?
- MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value and rates the effectiveness of air filters to trap air particles. The higher the number, the smaller the microns the filter can capture, leading to a higher percentage of air particles being blocked from circulating in your home.
- At FilterBuy, we offer MERV 6, 8, 11, and 13 air filters. Our MERV 6, 8, and 11 filters are perfect for homes; if there are kids, pets, or allergy sufferers in your home, we recommend opting for a MERV 8 or 11 filter. Our hospital grade MERV 13 filter traps 98% of bacteria without restricting air flow, so it’s a great option for larger homes and businesses.
- For a more thorough breakdown of MERV ratings, click here.
What is the difference between nominal size and actual size?
- Nearly all filters go by the nominal size, which is the actual size rounded up to the nearest inch measurement. Usually, the nominal size is printed on the filter frame in larger print, while the actual size is in smaller print.
- Want more information about nominal and actual sizes? Click here.
What is the difference between a furnace filter and an AC Filter?
- As if finding the right size isn’t confusing enough, it’s easy to get stuck on exactly what type of filter you need! Not to worry, though, because there is no difference between furnace filters and AC filters. They are the same exact type of product and are always interchangeable.
How to install my air filter in the right direction?
- Find the arrows on the side of the filter frame. The arrows should always face in the direction of airflow, so the filter should be inserted with the arrows facing towards the unit.
- If you’re having trouble installing your air filter, give our team a call at 855-345-8289.
How often should I change my air filter?
- A good rule of thumb is to replace pleated filters every 90 days. If you have pets, kids, or allergy sufferers in your space, we recommend changing your filters more often.
- Regularly replacing your air filters has many benefits, including keeping particles out of your air, lowering your energy bills, maintaining a properly working HVAC, and more.
- To learn more about how often to replace your air filter, click here.
Are FilterBuy filters electrostatically charged?
- Yes! Our filters are electrostatically charged, meaning they attract dust, debris, and bacteria more effectively.
- To find out more about what it means to have an electrostatically charged filter, click here.
What is the difference between fiberglass filters and FilterBuy pleated filters?
- Not all air filters are equal. At FilterBuy, we manufacture pleated air filters, which are designed to last 90 days and capture over 85% of air particles in your space.
- Fiberglass filters, made of spun glass, last an average of 30 days. Since these types of filters allow smaller microns to pass through, they capture a much smaller percentage of air particles than pleated filters can.
- While fiberglass filters are less expensive than pleated filters, they last only 1/3 as long and don’t block as many particles from your air.
What gets trapped by home air filters?
What are FilterBuy’s shipping and return policies?
- At FilterBuy, we want to make sure every customer is satisfied with their purchase!
- We offer free shipping on all orders within the continental US. Whether you order just one filter or a truckload, you’ll never have to pay for shipping. Please note that at this time, we only ship within the continental US.
- We are happy to accept unused items for a full refund within 90 days after your item was ordered. If you’re not fully satisfied with your order, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 855-345-8289 and we’ll help you out!
- Find more detail here.
How does FilterBuy’s subscription service work?
- We understand that remembering to regularly replace your air filters isn’t always as easy as it sounds, so we offer a subscription service so you can set it and forget it! To place a subscription order, simply select how often you’d like auto-delivery before you add your filters to your cart.
- We offer auto-delivery every 1, 2, 3, 6, and 12 months. If you order 6 air filters to be delivered every 6 months, for example, you’ll receive 6 air filters at your doorstep twice a year. Easy as that!
- You can obtain more information about recurring orders here.
- Having trouble placing a subscription order? Give us a call at 855-345-8289 and we’ll help!
How do I track my order?
- We send a shipping confirmation email when your order ships! Check your inbox to easily access your tracking number(s).
- You can also track your order here or give us a call at 855-345-8289
Does FilterBuy offer wholesale?
- Yes, we do! If you’re looking to purchase large quantities of air filters, you can contact us here and a wholesale specialist will be happy to assist you!
For questions, comments or suggestions, please use this contact form.