The importance of high-quality,effective air filtration reached new heights recently when a Boeing 787 Dreamliner bound for Tokyo was diverted to Seattle due to a faulty air filter. While airplanes may not be part of your daily life, this example demonstrates the importance of filtration.
To better understand how filtration affects you, consider these everyday tasks that use filters:
- Your car has filters for air, gas, oil and transmission fluid
- Your vacuum cleaner has a filter to trap dust
- Your water taps have screens and you may have a more advanced water filtration system to purify water
- Your clothes dryer has a lint filter, so does your hair dryer
- Your coffee pot has a filter to keep the grounds out of your coffee, and even a tea bag is considered a filter
We take these filters for granted on a daily basis, but imagine if any one of them were to fail. You know how vital a filter is to your morning cup of coffee, but a lot of homeowners continue to overlook the importance of a clean air filter in their HVAC system. The result can be increased energy bills at best and complete system failure or irreparable health problems at worse.
Would You Want To Breathe This?
Many people are shocked to learn that there are thousands of pollutants found within their homes. A clean air filter can trap many of these pollutants, and other measures can be taken to further improve indoor air quality.
Here's a very short list of some common pollutants found in homes:
- Pet dander
- Household cleaners
- Chemicals in air fresheners and beauty products like hairspray and perfume
- Lead, asbestos and formaldehyde in older homes are known carcinogens
- Pesticides and chemicals used in landscaping are brought into the home on shoes and clothing
- VOCs in paints, carpet and upholstery
Polluted Air Harms People And Machines
Breathing dirty air puts you at risk for asthma, allergies and other respiratory ailments. Machines also need clean air to function properly. An ill-fitting or clogged air filter can increase energy costs by 15%, according to the Department of Energy. In a study conducted by Old Dominion University, air filter problems during heavy usage can increase energy bills by as much as 70%. It's not just the dollar signs that are alarming here; clogged vents and dirty coils can cause your HVAC system to freeze up and fail in the summer; in the winter months, dust and lent particles that reach the system can be heated to the point of combustion, causing house fires.
A filter failure may be obvious when it comes to your morning cup of coffee. But since the majority of your heating and cooling system is not visible, nor are the pollutants in the air visible, system and health problems may go unnoticed. While not nearly as satisfying as drinking a cup of coffee, changing the air filter in your home should be at the top of your priority list every month as it protects your family's health and saves you money.
AirFilterBuy makes your life easier by giving you a 5% discount on recurring orders and guaranteeing you'll always have clean furnace filters on hand when you need them. To learn more about protecting your family's health with cleaner indoor air, contact AirFilterBuy and let us help you choose the best filtration products to meet your needs.